How does it work?
- Food Bank is open on the first and third Thursdays of each month, from 11am – 3pm at 1001 Harold Street, by the W.E. Graham Community School.
- Bring your own bags and/or boxes. We cannot provide boxes for everyone.
- Be aware that we provide heavy canned and dried goods, as well as fresh and frozen produce that needs refrigeration. Make sure you have a way to get all these things home safely and promptly.
- We operate on a first come first serve basis, when you arrive please take a number to secure your place in the queue.
- Please note: If you are not there when your number is called, we will move on to the next number to keep the line moving.
- We reserve the right to invite any individual we believe may not be able to wait in line, for whatever reason, to be served sooner, at the discretion of food bank staff.
- Please be respectful of our staff and volunteers at all times.
Who is eligible?
- Slocan Valley Food Cupboard can provide supplemental food to anyone resident in the Slocan Valley, from New Denver to Playmor Junction.
- To register you will need to provide proof of address, and the names and ages of everyone in your household. Completing the registration form helps provide statistics that maintain our funding.
- Registration must be renewed every two years. If you have not completed a registration form in the past two years you will be asked to do so again to ensure our information is up to date.
- Please let us know if your circumstances change – for example a new baby!
What do I do if I need food and can’t get to Slocan on food bank day?
- You may ask a friend to collect a box on your behalf. This must be arranged beforehand. Call 250-355-2484 in the week before food bank, at the latest by 4pm on the Wednesday. Make sure you speak to someone directly or leave your phone number so that we can call you back. Let us know the name of the person collecting your box, and what you need/don’t need in your box.
- Please note: Calling on the day of food bank to arrange collection puts additional pressure on our staff and we cannot accommodate this.
- Sometimes it may be possible to arrange collection outside of regular food bank hours if you have a genuine reason why you cannot attend.
- If you are housebound, and unable to arrange regular collection please call us on 250-355-2484 to discuss the possibility of delivery, this service is dependent on our amazing volunteers.
Additional health and safety measures are currently in place due to Covid 19, please wear a mask when dealing with our staff and volunteers and follow social distancing guidelines. Thank you.
PLEASE DO NOT COME TO THE FOOD BANK IF YOU OR ANYONE IN YOUR CIRCLE IS UNWELL.
We cannot guarantee the availability of produce at any given time, however, sometimes we have fresh produce between food bank days that is perishable.
Keep an eye on our facebook page to see when we have additional produce to give away. https://www.facebook.com/wegcss
If you need help urgently, need more information, or need other resources, please call us at 250 355 2484 Tues.-Fri. 9-4.
- We value honesty and integrity both with our staff, volunteers and with the public we serve.
- We value working in partnership with the community and the local businesses throughout the Slocan Valley.
- We value organizational resilience and believe that strong management practices are essential to our mission.
- We value and respect those that we serve, and will not turn anyone away as long as we have food to distribute.
- We value and appreciate our volunteers and staff.
- We value and appreciate all the local businesses that support us both with food donations, time and general support.
If you would like to support the work of Slocan Valley Food Cupboard, find out more about donating time, money or food here.
We would like to thank our generous partners, funders and donors for all their support. Information on the organisations that support W.E.G.C.S.S. can be found on Our Generous Funders. If you would like to support our programs please find out more at Support us.